5 February 2015

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green | Swoonuary

Title: An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Pages: 213
Genre: Romance, Comedy, Contemporary
Book Description:
When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact.

On a road trip miles from home, this anagram-happy, washed-up child prodigy has ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a bloodthirsty feral hog on his trail, and an overweight, Judge Judy-loving best friend riding shotgun--but no Katherines. Colin is on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which he hopes will predict the future of any relationship, avenge Dumpees everywhere, and finally win him the girl. Love, friendship, and a dead Austro-Hungarian archduke add up to surprising and heart-changing conclusions in this ingeniously layered comic novel about reinventing oneself.
 




My Opinion:
This is my first book that I'm reading for Swoonuary! (For more detail check out my post here) It was exactly what I expected it to be: romantic and humorous, a typical John Green novel!

The main thing I enjoyed about this book was that it was funny. It was a lighthearted novel that's a great read in time for Valentines Day if you're not looking for anything soppy or cringe-worthy.
The characters were all amazing. John Green showed me a new side to teenage boys in an accurate way and I felt like I knew the characters because they were so real.

I really enjoyed the ending. I think Colin's story about all the Katherines was great for closure and I found myself happy that it was involved, as I was quite intrigued to see what went wrong with those other 19 girls!

I thought the footnotes were a unique touch. At first it took me a while to get used to them but as I continued reading I found myself learning new random facts and really enjoying their feature.

The only thing I disliked about this book is that it was quite predictable. I could easily guess what was going to happen and, after reading all of John Green's other novels, I didn't enjoy this one as much, although it was still very good.

Altogether I would definitely recommend it. It's a funny and immature story with great morals and messages, perfect for this romantic holiday!


Favourite Quotes:


Books are the ultimate Dumpees: put them down and they'll wait for you forever; pay attention to them and they always love you back

~~~~

It was the kind of dark your eyes never adjust to

~~~~

You can never love people as much as you miss them

~~~~

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” 



Rating ★
4 out of 5 stars

Next book I'm going to review for Swoonuary:
Never Never by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher