12 April 2016

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Title: Allegiant
Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 544
Genre: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance
Book Description:
What if a single revelation – like a single choice – changed everything? What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered – fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.
But Tris's new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature – and of herself – while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love.

My Opinion:
After the fantastic cliffhanger left in Insurgent (check out my review here) I couldn't wait to read on. And with the final film coming out just this week, I've been eager to complete to trilogy so that I cansee it! In the final novel, we follow our favourite characters on another action-packd journey as they escape beyond the fence that has been keeping them trapped their entire lives.

The first thing I noticed was the change in perspectives. In the first two novels, we only heard Tris' voice, however in this last one the narrative has changed so that we hear Tobias' opinions as well. Although I like hearing his point of view as well as Tris's, I feel like consistency would've been more effective, for instance, having the same narrative or switching between characters the entire way through the trilogy. This change wasn't something I expected nor do I think it worked as well as it could have.
However upon reaching the end of this novel, I realised why the author chose to separate the personalities and I can see how this worked. It's still a shame that this realisiation only occurred at the ending since I'd have liked to have enjoyed the split in narrative earlier on.

I found the ending to be one of the strongest points of the novel. It was packed with emotion and there was quite an unexpected twist that I was unprepared for. At this point I felt like I finally reconnected with the characters again, because throughout this novel this wasn't as strong in comparison to the previous two in the series.

What I did enjoy about all 3 books in the trilogy were the messages. These were important, thought-provoking themes that really stood out for me in the novels. They weren't just about romance and strength but more to do with independence, trust, bravery and honesty, which is something everyone needs to learn and remember.

Overall this trilogy was fantastic. I throughly enjoyed Divergent and would definitely read it again. Insurgent was especially good for character development and the twists in the plot line, along with the insane cliffhanger at the end. Allegiant was my least favourite and I felt like the plot and characters were not as strong, however I felt that the ending was successful in rounding up all three books and bringing us back to the start. As a whole I'd say these books are definitely worth the read for all ages!

Favourite Quotes:


I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last

~~~~

I wonder if fears ever really go away, or if they just lose their power over us

~~~~

I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me

~~~~

You don’t believe things because they make your life better, you believe them because they’re true

~~~~

The first step to loving someone else is to recognize the evil in ourselves, so we can forgive them


Rating ★
3 out of 5 stars 

 Next book I'm going to review:
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!