1 December 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Title: The Perks of being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Pages: 231
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary
Book Description:
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.



My Opinion:
I really, really liked this book. The characters were amazing, the plot was lovely and unique and the quotes throughout this novel were on point!

I loved how this was written because it was so relatable and I'm pretty sure most people have felt the same way as Charlie. All of the characters were lovely too. Patrick or Nobody was probably my second favourite character because he was so gay and hilarious.

This novel was very well written and the plot was amazing. I loved how each character had their story to tell and how accurately it shows teenagers. The characters haven't been exaggerated or anything; they are fair and honest and the plot captures this so well. I am also a huge Rocky Horror fan so I also loved how that was weaved in.

The only thing I disliked about this novel was the fact that it was written in a diary format. This is a personal opinion only because I'm not a huge fan of entire novels written in the style of a diary. Although this factor doesn't affect the story line or characters, if it wasn't written like this I'd probably have given it a full 5/5 stars...
This book reminded me a lot of It's Kind of a Funny Story (my review for this is here) and I felt like the story line's were very similar. It may be it's because I read the novel by Ned Vizzini first but I just saw the story line as something that's been done before. Nevertheless I loved it and there were some unique twists and characters!

I would recommend this to anyone because anyone can relate and it's such a feel good book. That characters and plot are amazing and Chbosky is an amazing writer. I can't wait to read more novels from him!


Favourite Quotes: 
We accept the love we think we deserve

~~~~

Let's go be psychos together

~~~~

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite

~~~~

He's a wallflower. You see things. You keep quiet about them. And you understand.
I didn't think anyone noticed me

~~~~

I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be

~~~~

I am very interested and fascinated how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other



Rating ★
4 out of 5 stars


This film was such an awesome take on the novel. The actors were so well cast (Emma Watson and Logan Lerman tho...) and they didn't really change anything about the book; I hate it when directors change the story line of a book they're basing the film on ugh! I would probably give the film 5/5 stars and I certainly recommend you watch it as well.


 Next book I'm going to review:
1984 by George Orwell

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you liked it! Perks is one of my favorite books ever! I just love it, and I love the fact that I met Stephen and he signed it.

    I'm working on getting all the different covers of it for my library. So far I just have two of the original cover. lol

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! I'm so jealous that you met him AND he signed your copy :o I bet he was lovely in person ahaa...
      I've only got the cover that I've used for the image but both the originals were great. I always buy the books with the nicest covers and this was a difficult choice hmm

      Delete
    2. He's super sweet! He came to my school for an event because the incoming freshman had to read his book that year, but all the upperclassmen filled the room. I met him again a year later at the movies. He was signing posters, so I got one of those too. He even remembered me. So yeah... he's definitely a lovely person. :)

      I love the cover you posted on here. I need to track it down. lol

      Delete
    3. I'm so jealous that he came to your school omg why don't authors come to my school :'( You're so lucky to have met him twice and I can't believe he remembered you :D
      You will, it's my favourite out of all of them!

      Delete
  2. Oh good! Another wallflower to add to the team!! Personally I think that the diary style really added to the book cause you got a real sense of Charlie's inner monologue and stuff (look at me sounding all fancy) but I can understand why that might not be your thing :3 Great review, thoroughly enjoyed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah me too! So many of my friends disliked this book so I'm just my own wallflower in person ahaa...
      I think diary styled novels are a bit of a love hate relationship with me - if they're written really well and I'm into them then I like them but if they're not then I find them irritating... I do agree though, without it we wouldn't hear his feelings as well :)

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this read too, even when people say it's a Catcher in The Rye rip-off, but one of my favorite classics is CiTR book and I don't exactly disagree with the similiarites between the books but PoBW has it's own feel, especially with the monologues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I did enjoy the monologues. I haven't read Catcher in the Rye so I wouldn't have realised if it was similar or not... I do want to read that classic novel! What did you think of it?

      Delete
  4. I haven't read the book or watched the movie yet, but it is on my TBR and I intend for that to I think the diary format will be fine for me because I have read many books like that so I will be okay. I like the idea of lovely characters and a unique plot as well. I can't wait to get to this now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww it's been on my TBR list for a while but it was on offer so I finally bought it and read it in a day! It was such an easy read and the story line was so relatable and lovely :) I really enjoyed it and the film was just amazing too :D Make sure to let me no what you thought of it when you read it!

      Delete
  5. I saw the movie first I really liked it nay loved it..Ezra Miller is brilliant as Patrick and Emma Watson wowow! ^_^
    Then I read the book..and I think it is wonderful, I actually liked the letter format :D I liked how every character is portrayed...These quotes above from the book/movie they're amazing and deep at the same time they make you feel for the character :)
    PS -new follower (on GFC not on bloglovin :P)

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always prefer to watch the film afterwards and I have to say it's one of my favourite adaptions of a novel into a film. The casting was on point in that film :D The quotes above were just the ones that stood out for me... I mean there's so many true and relatable quotes which is why I think this is perfect for everyone!
      Thanks for the follow, I followed back!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for commenting! I advise you to tick the box that says 'Notify me' so you will be sent an email when I reply to you! I will do this asap.
If you have any further questions don't hesitate to send me an email!